Friday, May 22, 2020

Sears' Shrunken Storefront

NOTE: This post comes from outside the blog's coverage area.

For something a little different, we take a look at what some may consider the 'Sears store of the future.' While the concept is sound, I personally think it came too late to help Sears be relevant. Regardless, let's take a tour of the unique store:

The Sears Appliances & Mattresses store format came about here in Camp Hill, PA more or less because Sears was forced. The Capital City Mall owners wanted to redevelop the Sears anchor, but the problem was Sears was not closed. Sears and the mall owners eventually came to a compromise which allowed Sears to operate a significantly smaller store at this spot. Dick's Sporting Goods would now serve as the anchor with additional shops apart of the redevelopment.



Now for a look around in the interior:












Can't say we are the home anymore, so let's say original home!





4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this concept seems (and looks) nice, but I don't know that it can help the company at this point. That said, I saw somewhere that Eddie has paid all his debts, so against all odds Sears may well be in a better position right now than a lot of fellow department stores and retailers. How crazy is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy. I mean the concept is sound, but you need customers to survive- and I didn't see many here.

      (Apparently my earlier comment in response before didn't go through. Thanks Blogger.)

      Delete
  2. Well, it was still going when we drove by on the 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying the concept doesn't work. I'm saying it just came way too late. I think most can agree that the Sears name has been trashed.

    ReplyDelete