Thursday, July 28, 2016

Bluelight News Flash: No Need for Stockrooms

This news makes feel better about the Kmart situation, though I can't say the same for the employees. I referenced an article in the past week about Kmart's demise seeming more likely, and while that it still a very good possibility, the basis of the article was somewhat misunderstood. My suspicion about moving product from the stockroom and to the sales floor is now confirmed via my latest visit to my local store and this article. Kmart will no longer have any need for stockrooms. This is also supposed to ease checkout line wait times and by having more employees to assist customers.

I've already come across this just this past Tuesday. We are currently in the season where new LEGO products get added to store shelves. Well, as you can see below, boxes for these newer sets were found near the toys department just laying around open for customers to browse. If one wasn't open, than customers should ask an employee for assistance. Having spotted a set among these boxes that I was interested in I did just that.



Let me be clear by saying these new products do have spots on shelves for them. Employees just hadn't gotten around to stocking them yet.


This still doesn't exactly help the situation by having even more product added to the top shelf. Some of these products on the shelf here can no longer be found elsewhere. 

Hope this works out well for Kmart. Apparently Costco and Home Depot already use this same strategy, so it is not nothing new. This will also likely lead to less square footage being needed for each store.

2 comments:

  1. ...square footage which they can lease out should stores choose to consolidate to one side upon eliminating the stockrooms. I can see where this plan is headed, haha!

    ReplyDelete