Thursday, January 19, 2017

A Price Chopper Tour

NOTE: This photo tour of the New Hartford, NY Price Chopper is technically out of the blog's coverage area.

Price Chopper's future is kind of uncertain at the moment. From what I understand the chain is not doing as well as it once had and has even been rumored to be for sale. Market32, Price Chopper's attempt at a more upscale grocery store, has not been giving the results that were expected. The plan was for all Price Chopper stores to eventually become Market32. Not sure if that is still the plan. Because of this uncertain future, I've decided to venture into a few different Price Chopper stores and take some pictures of the decor, just in case something does happen down the road. One store that I visited is this store just outside of Utica.

The exterior is generic for Price Chopper.
The first thing upon entering is the pharmacy straight ahead. The checkout lanes would be to the left.


To the right is pretty much all of the speciality departments which surround produce and sale displays.











Natural Foods has been placed behind the pharmacy.


I was quite impressed with the selection of toys here. I know many supermarkets don't carry much toys if any at all.

These triangular aisle signs are a really nice part of this store.

Now that speciality departments are done, the floor changes and more open ceilings come into play. (Transition picture above,)





This is an impressive setup for flowers.
I took this picture of the logo because of the uncertain future of the chain.

Price Chopper offers a thanks in different languages.

7 comments:

  1. Price Chopper has always run a nice store (and their bagels are very good too). It looks like they're still pushing ahead with Market 32, but very slowly. The grand plan from when Market 32 was first announced was to convert every store over 10 years, but I don't see that happening. Market 32 is a nice concept, but I don't think it's worth it to convert the entire chain to that format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your not the first person to mention to me that the bagels are good! I do agree that Price Chopper is a nice store. Been to a couple and the well kept and clean.

    I think for the most part the chain has some struggles, but continues to do okay. I've not been to a Market32 so I don't know what it is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I have been told, this Price Chopper was a P&C until around 2004. There was an older store located about a mile up the road (next to a Kmart) that had relocated into this location. The produce/deli/bakery area that you pictured was a recent update. However there are still no Market 32 branded stores in the Mohawk Valley or Syracuse are that I am aware of at this time. And, yes, their bagels are good (though not as good as they were before...I don't think they're making them in-house anymore).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this couldn't of been an ordinal store simply because I've seen pics of the labelscar it left behind at the location next to Kmart. I'm not aware of any Market32 branded stores in the region as of this time either.

      Glad to hear the bagels are good. Perhaps I'll have to give one a try one day.

      Delete