Saturday, November 19, 2022

Double the Dollar at Family Dollar Tree

 

    In an effort to expand to more rural areas, Dollar Tree has opted to open locations that use both the Dollar Tree and Family Dollar branding. A location actually opened up nearby using this format, so of course I had to check it out. 



As you can see from the following pictures, the store is basically a Family Dollar with a Dollar Tree department consisting of 3 and a half aisles in the front right corner. In retrospect, this makes a lot of sense as there is a significant product overlap between the two different brands. For example, the snacks and candy that Dollar Tree would sell at its standalone locations are put into Family Dollar's pantry area here. In addition to the 3 1/2 aisles, there may have been a little section in the pantry department though that does offer some pantry items that Family Dollar wouldn't normally sell.  











8 comments:

  1. I've never been inside one of these Family Dollar/Dollar Tree combo stores before, but I always pictured the Dollar Tree section being much larger than a couple aisles. Still though, I think this is a good concept, and a good way for Dollar Tree to play around with having a store with multiple price points without totally diluting the branding of the regular Dollar Tree stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall a pretty neat concept. Seems Dollar Tree focused on seasonal, crafts, greeting cards, party supplies, stationery and cheap toys. And as seen in one of the photos, both brands share an aisle for housewares.

      Delete
  2. Did Family Dollar have a previous location in the village? In some areas, FD will use these stores as replacements for older, smaller locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. This is a new community for them completely.

      Delete
  3. These combo stores have really been taking off. I'm glad to see they are successful. If not directly, the concept began at least largely in part due to former Fred's locations they took over. I have one of those I'll post on my blog with some more research into the origins of the combo stores at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a neat idea. Knowing that some Fred's store were quite large, I wonder if the product selection would offer more. (unless they didn't take those locations over)

      Delete
    2. I can't really say I've been to a regular Family Dollar store, so I'm afraid I can't offer much insight into whether the combo stores in the former Fred's locations offer more items. However, I've also been in at least one Dollar General that took over a large former Fred's, and they have closed off a sizable portion of the sales floor -- different company, I know, but proof at least one chain wasn't interested in increasing its product selection!

      Delete
    3. That's fair enough.

      DG might make more renting the excess space.

      Delete