Saturday, March 18, 2023

A Dollar Store with History

 

    When one thinks of a dollar store, you generally expect to see a typical box style storefront. That is not the case for this Dollar Tree in De Witt, NY. As you can evidently tell by the photos, this location features some unique architecture. This building started life as a burger restaurant named Mandy's Drive-In with a counter service, hence the unique design. The building would later be expanded with the more typical box addition when a toy store took over the property. Finally, Dollar Tree would move in.

    Besides the unique architecture, this location also has an actionway making it almost feel like a mini discount store. If this were my local Dollar Tree, I'd love shopping here. 


















9 comments:

  1. This is such a neat Dollar Tree! I really like the architecture in the old drive-in part of the building, and I'm glad Dollar Tree preserved that part of the building. There's actually a church near me that was built in a similar style to old drive-in part of the Dollar Tree building, with a similarly constructed roof, and I always liked the design of that church too. Here's the best interior photo of the church I could find: facebook.com/photo/?fbid=571903121632393&set=pcb.571903241632381
    And here's an exterior one for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/LpCPqGov8nUNTPVa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I can see why the roof reminds you of that church. They do have a similar look to them.

      Delete
  2. I know I was in this building once or twice when it was a toy store but I don't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair I couldn't have been more than maybe 8 or 10 at the time.

      Delete
  3. Love your pictures of this store! Glad Dollar Tree kept the unique architecture intact, and it's also cool to see an actionway here making the store feel even more unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Hope this stays like this for a long time.

      Delete
  4. The toy store that was here after Mandy's was called "Kid's Town".

    Oddly this Dollar Tree has a similar layout to the one in Saratoga Springs, but with carpet instead of all-tile. Knowing that it has the current decor, I don't see them changing anything except maybe the flooring, registers, and shopping carts. As of 2022, it still has that exterior, so I don't really see that changing.

    ReplyDelete