Saturday, December 2, 2017

Kmart #3884

NOTE: Once again, this month's Kmart tour comes from outside the blog's coverage area.


Just like Honesdale, this store in Matamoras, PA is also a '90s build. Unlike Honesdale, this store was actually a relocation. It had relocated from a former Grants (just across the state line) in Port Jervis, NY:

The former Grants/Kmart store in Port Jervis. One of the key reasons Kmart relocated was because this plaza had flooded and condemned at one time. It is in much better shape though still empty.

A map of the store.

The old photo area is now used as a stockroom. As such you would not normally see this. I just happened to catch the Olan Mills signage while the door was open.
Former cafe
























Something that isn't very common to find at Kmart stores, pre-packaged baked goods.





Another uncommon sight, a 3-D sign for greeting cards.
This store was meant for greater things since it has belt-driven checkout lanes.

This racetrack floor was apparently used for DVD rentals at one time. It is now cleverly used for mattresses.
Rating: 9 out of 10

I honestly can't ask for a better store. It was clean and well-stocked. I had no problems navigating around. My only complaint, though not the store's fault, would be for updated signage.

In Danger of Closing?

The store appears to be doing rather well. It has an easy to get to location right off I-84 and is visible from the interstate as well. It had enough customers to support it and I feel with a little TLC this store can make it.

8 comments:

  1. Thoughts on these Kmarts possibly closing?
    Franklin,PA
    Hermitage,PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franklin seems likely. I just don't see how that one is making any profit. Walmart isn't terribly far away.

      Hermitage is a toss up for me. I could see them going either way. It seemed to do decent when I visited.

      Delete
  2. When do you think they will announce more closings? I found out the other day that the Clarion PA Kmart is the end of January..however I'm thinking the way the store is selling out,it might close earlier..no word on what would be moving into the empty space once it closes,just more rumors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got these closings down to a science. They usually manage to have product up to the final day. I'm seriously considering possibly doing a road trip next month on hitting up a few of the closing locations next month, but it will all depend on the weather. The last day that the store will be open is a Sunday.

      I've heard rumors that 140 more Kmart stores are expected to announce closure sometime in January, but as to which ones I do not know.

      Delete
  3. I had read someplace that Sears holdings entered into an agreement with a company called Pension Guranty Benefit to sell off 140 properties to fund future pension benefits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's correct. However, the 140 locations are supposed to be Sears locations. The intent is to do a lease-back of these locations at the moment.

      Delete
  4. There's Smart, And There's Kmart Smart.

    ReplyDelete