Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Final Goodbye(s) to Toys R Us- in Erie

There is no question that the demise of the last toy store of its kind hit many folks hard. It is sad to think that there is currently no chain toy store to fill the gap. Sure, we have independent toy stores and toy departments, but it isn't the same. There truly is nothing that can compare to the pure joy that children got from seeing aisles and aisles of toys under one roof. Sadly this has all to come an end - for the moment at least. While KB Toys is planning to make a comeback, it remains to be seen how it will play out and if it even will work out.

I've been out over the past few months going to various Toys R Us and Bon-Ton stores in the region to get one last look before they are gone forever. The final Toys R Us that stopped at was the location in Erie, one of my two childhood Toys R Us stores. It truly was a bittersweet experience, yet also a very fitting way to say goodbye. 

As you will see in the pictures below, this Toys R Us location set up a wall of memories for customers to put up their experiences. Fellow Flickr user justinthedog, Youtuber WallieB26, and of course myself all left notes to say goodbye. Sadly, I was unable to find Justin's among the thousands of notes left. This understandably felt like the best way for me to end my Toys R Us journey. 






I don't think 'Get Well Soon' will work here....






Electronics mostly emptied out











Toys R Us bags








The way to leave your message
My goodbye note. I signed it using my Flickr username.



As mentioned, hopefully KB can make a successful comeback. Only time will tell how the toy industry will adjust.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. The sheer amount of notes left at this store is amazing. I don't think either of the Memphis TRU stores had a wall for notes like this, although to be fair I didn't make it to one of the two stores before it closed. Glad you (and evidently, so many others!) were able to pay your respects to your childhood Toys "R" Us. I believe I mentioned this before on flickr, but I don't really have a childhood TRU myself, as we rarely ever shopped there... but I'll still miss the brand nonetheless. Surely someone will recognize its value, and snap it up quickly when the intellectual property is auctioned off... but whether or not that will translate into a revival of the chain, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Anyway, nice tribute to this store :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not aware of any other stores who gave customers an opportunity to leave notes in the final round. Ironically, my other childhood Toys R Us (which closed in late March or early April as part of the first wave) did have goodbye notes, but nearly as many as this.

      The thing I'll remember the most is just going as a kid. The nearest stores were both at least two hours away, so going was a treat. I can't forget the buying of new LEGO City sets as they'd be the first place I would find them.

      Yeah, it was very fitting that this was my last Toys R Us trip.

      Sorry for the late response. Blogger didn't let me know you commented.

      Delete
    2. I can understand the feeling of a store that far away being a treat! That's always one to cherish

      And no problem! I know how Blogger can be, at times XD

      Delete
    3. Yeah as a kid it was very neat to go what felt like so far away.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! I worked at the Johnson City location for 9 years. TRU holds a special place in my heart !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRU was truly special for a lot of people. It was a shame they liquidated especially since they got offers to continue operating. Johnson City was just one of many stores I got pictures of.

      Delete