Sunday, December 29, 2019

A Weis Connection Between Two Brands

While all of the Binghamton area Weis stores were former Giant locations, this one on the southwest side of the city stands alone as being even extra special. It has a CVS connected to it! This connection is not like how CVS exists in Target stores, since CVS actually has a proper store here. And the funny thing is that more than likely some items are sold at both Weis and CVS. Price matching, if offered here, may be a lot of fun for customers with how this setup works.


It may be hard to tell, but both CVS and Weis have exterior entrances. They are both behind the glass breezeway as seen below. But this is not the unique connection point I refer too....


....This is:




A connection like this where two different brands who have similar products- unless being a part of the same company- is something that I'm not aware of anywhere else. 

Well, we're already here. Might as well take a look around the Weis....








One thing to note about some of these Binghamton area Weis stores is that some of them have multiple entrances. You can see where the corridor to a second entrance is behind the bread sign.



A look down the corridor to the south entrance....
....and a look to the north as we make our exit.

6 comments:

  1. A: I had no idea Weis was even in Binghamton (given their NJ expansion has been rather small, I assumed they weren't even thinking about New York State), and B: perhaps this was some other pharmacy that CVS bought and they kept it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weis has a very limited presence in New York state. They have one lone store in Elmira which was built as a Weis and at least five around the Binghamton area in former Giant stores. This situation is likely the result of a lease and that explanation would make sense to me.

      Delete
  2. That's a good point about you being unaware of any other in-store connection points between two completely unrelated companies like that... can't say I know of any, either. (I do know of a similar situation of an older and smaller Kroger with a CVS right next door, but they don't open into each other!) Also, I like how you phrased that: "we're already here, so might as well tour the Weis" :P Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kroger and CVS being right next to each other actually wasn't that rare at one point as the CVS would of likely originally been a pharmacy chain that Kroger had a stake in. (name escapes me at the moment) Kroger would later sell that stake and these spaces would become Revco before CVS would take them over. Of course, the two stores were never connected from the interior from what I can tell. A lot of the CVS stores have since relocated to the more ideal format of being standalone, but there are still a number of the next-door CVS stores around.

      I originally came here for Weis in the first place anyways and would wind up being thrown off by the CVS connection point.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I forgot about those :P If I'm not mistaken, weren't those called SupeRx? I'm only familiar with those at greenhouse Krogers though; the location I'm referring to is a tiny superstore model. Perhaps Kroger had SupeRx stores beside those too, but I'm not certain it would've started out that way. I'll have photos of the Kroger coming to flickr eventually...

      Delete
    3. That sounds right, but yeah they were common with greenhouse locations. I'd say it is possible they may of had a few superstores with them though. Looking forward to those pics.

      Delete