Wednesday, December 18, 2019

The Five & Dime Format Lives On at Vidler's

To celebrate the milestone of reaching 200 posts on the blog, I thought we should take a look at a still operating five and dime format store since most of the big box stores we know today got their start from this style of store. The store being featured is Vidler's, which is in East Aurora, NY, and it is actually the world's largest five and dime store still in operation.




The mascot of the store is based off of the founder


























I hope you enjoyed a look at this unique store!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on 200 posts, and cool store to feature for the milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat store! This place seems like a bit of a maze to navigate with all the different rooms for merchandise, but that's all a part of the charm of these really old stores.

    Congrats on the milestone too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun thing to visit even if it was very crowded and hard to navigate. It seemed rather obvious to me that the different rooms were a result of several expansions.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Was there a lunch counter there or not? That's the part of five and dimes I'm most interested in (because I'm always hungry and I always love in-store eateries of any kind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, no. I don't blame you for wanting/liking them as they are neat.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of an antique mall we visited in Ohio. In the back you went down into the basement and the basement seemed to continue so far back forward I thought maybe we were out under the street in front of the building.

    ReplyDelete