Sunday, July 12, 2015

A McDonald's Doomed to Fall Eventually

When it happens is the question. For over 5 years now, Walmart has been talking about putting a location in this small town of Wellsville on the site of the town's old airport. The problem is that if it does indeed build there, then this McDonald's would likely bite the dust for a right-of-way. Walmart has even bought out the plaza behind this McDonald's to make a right-of-way. Ironically this plaza used to be Wellsville's Kmart before it relocated to a newer location in the '90s. The problem with all this? Walmart hasn't even broken ground on this location as of this writing.

I took a visit to this McDonald's back in January of 2014 (and July of the year before for some of these pictures) because a newspaper article had claimed that Walmart intended to build that summer. Here we are a year later and nothing has happened further. I'm not entirely sure what is going on, but at least this store still has some retro and vintage elements to it that are still intact to this day, likely due to the fact that it may be torn down in the future.

Enjoy these pictures I took:
Previously a former playground area.
Door is left wide open. This doesn't even lead into the store portion of the McDonald's. It leads straight into the kitchen area. Keep in mind this picture was taken during January, so imagine how much heat they are wasting.
Classic '80s.

Retro doors.
The doors in the previous picture are opposite here.
The neon balloons are great decoration for local pride. Every year the town of Wellsville has an annual balloon rally and it would appear that McDonald's gets in on the fun as well.
The paintings on the wall are for various years of Wellsville's balloon rally.

I hope Retail Retell won't mind me putting in a county map. I find that to be a good idea that I would like to use myself.

6 comments:

  1. Neon showing local flair?? (head explodes :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this. I know when I first uploaded these pictures to Flickr, they got a lot of favorites. This is what inspired me to take a look out for other unique McDonald's locations. I'm 100% certain the neon is still there today.

      Delete
    2. Also, I really like your design/color scheme! Do you remember how you were able to apply a color to this little reply jut-out? On my blog it's stark white and I can't figure out how to fix it.

      Delete
    3. It must come with the layout I chose, because I didn't do anything for the comments area.

      Delete
    4. Hmm, must be the same for mine. Oh well, I've learned to live with it by now anyway! I was able to add several new features to my sidebar though, so that's a plus.

      Delete
    5. On the county map - nope, don't mind at all! In fact, you'll probably be able to make more use of it, because you have pictures from your entire coverage area. I'm pretty secluded!

      Delete