Wednesday, July 15, 2015

"A Staple of the South": A Remodeling Kroger

NOTE: THIS POST COMES FROM EASTERN TENNESSEE. NOT ANYWHERE IN THE TWIN TIERS BLOG COVERAGE AREA. I visited this Kroger while on vacation in the tri-cites area of TN. There may be a few more posts from this area in the future.

Quoting a certain Flickr member from when I was vacation, this post is actually relating to the pictures that I recently finished uploading to Flickr this week from my trip down south. Although you have likely seen these pictures before, I thought I try my hand with a nice blog post about it. Don't be surprised to this happening more often than not now that I have a blog to run! :D


Although Kroger does not exist anywhere in the Twin Tiers blog coverage area anymore, they did at one point in time. They pulled out of Pennsylvania in the late 1980s due to labor disputes in the Pittsburgh area. There was a Kroger located in Warren and evidence of it still remains to this day as it lives on as a Tractor Supply. I may do a blog post on that at some point in the future.

Alternate Angle of the Johnson City, TN Kroger
You enter with the checkout lanes in front of you. I made a left and in front of the registers I took this picture of the front of the store:

Turning around, I next went to the produce area. Even though I realize that this store was remodeling when I visited, I still feel like there should be a better selection of produce here.


I now entered into the back portion of the store where I found this random drop ceiling.


I thought it was a rather odd thing. The only explanation I could possibly give is that it used to keep balloons from floating away?

Greeting Cards

Kroger apparently sells hardware. I did not know that. I visited two other Kroger locations while I visited this area but I did not see a hardware area at those locations.

The only thing that remains from Kroger's Millennium Decor at this location is a few aisle signs.

Notice that this portion of the store has started to receive newer signage. The health and beauty area was the only area I recall seeing these tripod signs.

I could be wrong, but I think finding open freezers in the middle of the aisle like this at Kroger is starting to become more rare. If I'm wrong, please correct me in the comments.


Note the transition of wall colors.


I got a kick out of seeing a 'Z' on the wall here. Must be someone was too tired to continue working. :D



Natural foods is under a drop ceiling at the moment.



The pharmacy area has not received any paint when I visited.


I leave you with a shot of the greenhouse windows that this store entrance features. See you in the next post!

5 comments:

  1. Great post, especially for not having any Krogers near you! ;)

    I think they still do use the coffin freezers, though they're more streamlined in with the décor colors and possibly only in the dairy/lunchmeat area (at least, that's where they are in the Southaven Monster Kroger).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Bradley_Memphis was saying something about the coffin freezers becoming more rare, so I was assuming they were. On a different note, you're calling them coffin freezers? I guess it kind of makes sense; since fish and other dead things are food for us. :D

      Delete
    2. Is he back, or was that from an older photo? He seems to disappear sometimes!

      Haha, I actually stole that term from elsewhere on flickr. Not sure who called them that, but it might be an industry phrase - like how the freezer lies flat like a coffin, maybe?

      Delete
    3. Older photo. Just seems odd to refer to it as a coffin.

      Delete
  2. Can look at my blog to see nutritional facts of food at Kroger, and other grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete