Thursday, July 23, 2015

Former Kmart #9529 (Dead Warren Mall Part Two)

One of the hardest things to take as a fan of Kmart is to see one of your local stores close. (Which might start to become a little more common if the 'missing' stores do end up closing.)

This store was probably one of the top 5 stores that I most frequented, but obviously this is now longer the case. It was rather special to me because it was located as a part of a mall, something of which you don't see a certain competitor doing. There are still a few mall Kmart locations left, but they are becoming a bit more rare. This Kmart opened as a smaller store and anchor to the Warren Mall and it saw a major remodel and expansion in 1992 for the 'Big K' format. It hung on for a couple years after the mall itself lost pretty much all of its tenants. Although its lease was until 2015, Sears Holdings ultimately made the decision to close by late 2014 citing the usual 'costing-cutting measures.' This was the first major closing after the Sears/Kmart merger to affect me directly. Although the Kmart bankruptcy did close a few stores in my area, one in particular being the Bradford store, I was to young to remember it like I would today. Don't get me wrong though, I do remember going to the Bradford Kmart a few times and stopping by once during its liquidation sale, but it was mainly toys that I remember.


Kmart in 2012.
Mall Entrance back in 2012.

I took pictures of this store before its closing in 2012, but you can find them on Flickr photostream here. These pictures may not be of the best quality though. All photos from this post can be found on Flickr via that link as well. Here's a few more pictures I took literally just 2 weeks before it was announced that this store would be closing.





The typical curtain used to cover up space that Kmart uses when they do not want customers in an area anymore. This was previously a Little Caesars pizza station.
You're not fooling anyone, Kmart.
Pretty cool Kmart balloon. Ironically, it says 'Now Hiring' on the other side as you will see a later picture.

The garden shop was added on when this store expanded in 1992. You don't normally see this type of signage for a Kmart garden shop.




Nice little vintage bench still being used before the store closed.
The following pictures are during this store's liquidation. I can't guarantee that I will visit all of the liquidation sales for Kmart and/or Sears in my area, but I'll try to do what I can. This store was special to me, so I had to visit at least once before it closed forever.
















This Kmart was hiring even though it was closing.
Ironically, a smiley-faced balloon was at this Kmart's store closing and it was not here before. I imagine the Warren Walmart must be pretty happy.
Former cafe tables for sale.


Former Cafe/Little Caesars. The curtain was removed.
Former Pharmacy.









The obligatory signage for no new layaway contracts.


Mostly empty or empty aisles.


Referring customers to shop online at shopyourway.com and/or Kmart.com.
Goodbye, Warren Kmart.
We regret having to close your store. It's because our CEO doesn't know how to run a retail chain like a business. It's more or less his personal pieces of real estate.
Well, that finishes up the dead Warren Mall pictures, for now. I may return in the future and get some shots of the now closed Kmart as well as some of mall itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment