Saturday, February 2, 2019

Former Kmart #4445

NOTE: This store comes from outside the blog's coverage area.

I had made a round trip to visit each of the remaining Kmart stores in the Pittsburgh market back in April 2017 for the sole purpose of documenting them before they were gone. Sadly, I missed getting an interior look at three Pittsburgh locations (Monroeville, Edgewood Town Center and McKnight) and also missed stopping by Mt. Pleasant for some reason which was most likely inclement weather. All other stores that remained open in and around Pittsburgh in spring 2017 I have documented. And with the West View Kmart now closing and set to become a U-Haul, there will be no Kmart stores left in the immediate Pittsburgh area validating my efforts to document a chain which will be history in the area.

Our first store tour is of the Coraopolis location or better known as Moon Township. Youtuber WallieB26 did an excellent job of visiting this particular store and documenting it as it went from full to empty during its liquidation sale. My tour is of when this location operated under normal circumstances.


No doubt that this served as a Kmart foods at one time. It later would be used as Levin Furniture.





Toys being by clothing at Kmart was a unique layout at this location



























11 comments:

  1. Will you be doing any story on the Leechburg,PA Kmart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we'll just be looking at the former Pittsburgh stores I have first.

      Delete
  2. Nate,where does a person obtain the red colored square footage maps for KMART that you post on the blog? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple years back there was a website called SHCrealty.com. It listed the square footage of all stores. Sadly, this website is no longer around, but I managed to make notes of square footage of some stores. As for those maps, I made them myself.

      Delete
  3. I seen where the bankruptcy judge allowed Lampert and ESL to take over the remaining Sears and Kmarts for 5.2 billion...also I had heard that about 160 under performing stores might close..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toys are also next to clothing in the Des Plaines Kmart so I wouldn't call it unique to this location. It's probably not common however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique. Des Plaines was remodeled which most likely put toys in that spot. I meeant this is the only store that is unremodeled to be by clothing like this all by itself.

      Delete
  5. What?! This was my childhood Kmart yet I had no idea that the store on the left was a former Kmart Foods. How cool! I guess there wouldn't be any remnants after Roomful took over, but that is still pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levin, rather. Whichever. Lol.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Levin likely got rid of any traces other than the exterior entrance it would seem.

      Delete